During my father’s hospitalization, I observed a substantial imbalance between the ratio of healthcare providers to patients in public hospitals. Recognizing the limitations of human resources and inspired by a vision to harmonize the interplay of technology and human needs, I decided to create a robotic solution – Robo DaktarBabu.
The project was as much about problem-solving as it was about learning and applying key principles of Computer Science and Robotics. It involved exhaustive brainstorming sessions, meticulously examining the duties of nursing staff and considering how these tasks could be automated without compromising efficiency and patient comfort.
Key TECHNICAL Features:
- Line Following Automated Movement: Utilizing infrared sensors, Robo DaktarBabu navigates through predefined paths autonomously, eliminating the need for manual control.
- Voice Command Control: Implemented using speech recognition algorithms, this feature enables patients to interact with the robot effortlessly, thereby improving the user experience.
- Remote Live Monitoring: Integrated with IoT technology, this feature allows healthcare providers to observe patients in real-time, ensuring continuous updates and prompt intervention when necessary.
- Disinfection Station: In-built UV lights are utilized to sanitize the robot’s exterior when transitioning from patient to doctor zones, maintaining high sanitation standards.
- Live Updates of Patient’s Vitals: Through integration with medical sensors, the robot can monitor patient vitals and transmit real-time data to a centralized system, allowing healthcare providers to keep track of patient health statuses from anywhere.
- Emergency Notification: Leveraging IoT connectivity and data analysis, the robot can recognize critical health situations and immediately send alerts to medical professionals.
- Automatic Medicine Delivery: Equipped with an automated dispenser, the robot ensures that patients receive their prescribed medication on time, reducing potential human errors.
- Automatic Room Condition Monitoring: Utilizing environmental sensors, the robot regularly checks and maintains the optimal conditions of the patient’s room, enhancing patient comfort.
- Surgery Room Transportation: The robot’s sturdy design and automated navigation allow it to transport necessary supplies to the operating room reliably.
- Bilingual Understanding: Using natural language processing algorithms, the robot can comprehend and respond to both English and Bangla, providing a versatile communication interface.
KEY TECHNICAL DETAILS:
Microcontroller: Arduino Mega 2560 & NodeMCU ESP826
Prototype Production Cost: ~120 USD
Commercial Production Cost: ~700 USD
Weight: 8 pounds approx.
Dimensions: 22 x 6 x 22 inches
Technical challenges arose during the development process. Fine-tuning the voice command functionality for reliable responsiveness required considerable troubleshooting and refinement of the speech recognition algorithm. Designing the robot for seamless navigation involved meticulous calibration of the line-following sensors. Furthermore, balancing the robot’s physical stability while ensuring sufficient speed for timely task execution also required innovative problem-solving.
In creating Robo DaktarBabu, I leveraged my robust technical skills while pushing the boundaries of conventional solutions. This project represents a significant stride towards improving healthcare efficiency through robotics, paving the way for impactful technological interventions in critical areas of need.